Chocolate Mini Loaves Recipe
Source and image:tasteofhome.com
The moist texture of these mini loaves resembles a pound cake. Each bite is rich and succulent, making this perfect for dessert as well as snacking.
* 30 Servings
* Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
* 2 eggs
* 2 teaspoons Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
* 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1-1/2 cups applesauce
* 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
* 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 5 teaspoons water
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
* Dash salt
* In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the melted chocolate chips, eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce just until moistened. Fold in miniature chips.
* Divide batter among five greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans, about 1 cup in each. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
* For glaze, combine the chocolate chips, butter and water in a saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Drizzle over cooled loaves. Yield: 5 mini loaves (6 slices each).
Editor's Note: Two 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans may be used; bake for 50-55 minutes.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 191 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 123 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Mini Loaves in Best of Country Breads , p31