Earl Grey Devil's Food Cakes with Cherries
* Contributed by Zak Pelaccio
* TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS
* SERVINGS: 8
Recipe: Earl Grey Devil's Food Cakes with Cherries
1. 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
2. 3 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
3. 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons, melted
4. 1 pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved
5. 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
6. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
7. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
8. 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
9. 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
10. 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
11. 1 large egg
12. 1 large egg yolk
13. 6 tablespoons buttermilk
14. 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm brewed Earl Grey tea
15. Toasted pistachios, for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, scald the cream. Off the heat, add the chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes; whisk until smooth. Add the cold butter and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
2. In a nonreactive medium saucepan, combine the cherries with 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the lemon juice and let stand for 30 minutes. Boil for 5 minutes, then cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°. Butter and flour 8 muffin cups. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar with the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk the egg with the egg yolk, buttermilk, tea and melted butter; whisk into the dry ingredients.
4. Pour the batter into the cups and bake for 15 minutes. Let cool slightly, then invert the cakes on a rack; let cool. Set the cakes on plates upside down and top with chocolate ganache. Spoon on the cherries, sprinkle with nuts and serve.