Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberries
* Contributed by Neal Fraser
* TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
* SERVINGS: 6
Adding fresh ricotta to the batter makes these pancakes incredibly moist and light.
Recipe: Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberries
1. 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2. 1 teaspoon baking powder
3. 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
4. 3 large eggs, separated
5. 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
6. 6 ounces ricotta cheese (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
7. 1/4 cup sugar
8. 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
9. Unsalted butter, for the griddle
10. 1 pint fresh blueberries or 2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed
11. Pure maple syrup, for serving
1. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the milk, ricotta, sugar and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter until no streaks remain.
3. Preheat the oven to 225°. Heat a griddle, then lightly butter it. For each pancake, ladle a scant 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle; be sure to leave enough space between the pancakes. Cook over moderately low heat until the bottoms are golden and the pancakes are just beginning to set, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle each pancake with a few blueberries and press lightly. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden on the bottom and cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Transfer the pancakes to plates and keep them warm in the oven while you make the rest. Serve the pancakes with maple syrup.
Make Ahead The batter can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature and whisk briefly before cooking.