"I went a little overboard creating a fun confetti-ish cake for a student teacher and deemed the result 'Clown Vomit Cake.' Despite its nickname, it's a popular request now with my colleagues! Frost with your favorite frosting and top with colored sugar."
Prep Time:30 Min|Cook Time:30 Min |Ready In:1 Hr
Original Recipe Yield 1 8-inch cake
* 3 egg whites
* 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
* 1 1/3 cups water
* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* red paste food coloring
* orange paste food coloring
* yellow paste food coloring
* green paste food coloring
* blue paste food coloring
* purple paste food coloring
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
2. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy, about 1 minute. Add the cake mix, water, and canola oil; continue beating for 2 minutes on medium speed.
3. Divide the cake batter into six separate bowls. Use a toothpick to scoop a dab of food coloring into one bowl of batter and stir; add more food coloring, if necessary, to reach the desired shade. Repeat with the remaining colors and bowls of batter.
4. Scoop spoonfuls of batter into the prepared pans, alternating the colors. Use a toothpick to gently swirl the colors for a marbled effect.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes clean, about 30-35 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Food coloring gels and pastes are more concentrated than liquid food colorings and are necessary for this cake. They are available at craft stores and specialty kitchenware stores.
Previous cake recipe :
Chocolate Fudge Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Children's Birthday Cakes
Pound Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
11:47 PM No comments