Chocolate Cake with Ganache and Praline Topping
yield: Makes 8 servings
Praline, a southern candy, forms the top of this showstopping cake
* Nonstick vegetable oil spray
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, room temperature
* 1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/2 cup boiling water
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
* 1/4 cup buttermilk
* 1 large egg
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
* 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
* 3/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
* 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 3/4 cup powdered sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup pecans, toasted , chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9-inch cake pan with nonstick spray. Line with parchment. Spray parchment. Dust with flour, tapping out any excess.
Place butter and cocoa powder in medium bowl. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over; stir. Let stand 2 minutes; whisk until blended. Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and coarse salt in another medium bowl. Whisk buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in large bowl. Gradually whisk cocoa mixture into buttermilk mixture; whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, whisking to blend between additions (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Run knife around pan edges to release cake. Invert onto rack; remove pan and parchment. Cool completely.
Place chocolate and cream in microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Stir in butter. Let stand until spreadable, about 30 minutes. Spread over top and sides of cake. Transfer cake to plate. Chill 2 hours and up to 1 day.
Stir first 3 ingredients in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until butter melts. Boil 1 minute without stirring. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla. Add pecans; stir just to incorporate. Quickly pour praline over cake. Spread just to edges (topping sets quickly). DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome. Store at room temperature.
Thursday, January 26, 2012
12:45 AM cake recipes, cakes, Chocolate cake recipes, food and drinks, healthy recipes, Raspberry, recipes, Valentine's Day, Valentine's Recipes No comments